Welcome to University College of the North (UCN). The following information is intended to answer any questions you, as an international student, might have about applying and attending UCN The Pas or Thompson campus. The Pas is located 600 km north of Winnipeg (6 hours by car or 1.5 hours by plane). Thompson is located 800 km north of Winnipeg (8 hours by car or 2 hours by plane). Our winter temperature average approximately -20°C and our summer temperature averages approximately +20°C.
- Application fee is $130.00 and is non-refundable
- International students are responsible to ensure they meet the program requirements and deadlines before they apply
- Deadline for completed applications is April 1
- Applications must be complete before they will be processed. Incomplete applications may result in rejection of the application. Programs may have limited space for international students.
- Applicants will be considered only in the Regular Student classification. An international student is not eligible to apply as a Mature Student or as a Special Student (Application)
English Language Proficiency Requirement
English is the primary language of instruction at UCN. Students must demonstrate English language proficiency in order to participate in all aspects of course work.
Applicants with previous education outside of Canada and/or education in a language other than English must submit proof of English proficiency with either of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum of 550 on the paper-based test with no less than 50 in each component or Internet-based test score of 80 with no less than 20 in each component
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum overall band score of 6.5; and with no individual band scores less than 6.0
- Minimum scores may vary according to individual programs
- Documents and/or transcripts must be official and sent from the granting institution. Documents sent by email or facsimile, or documents that have been notarized or attested will not be accepted. Documents must be accompanied by a notarized English language translation as required.
- Specific programs may have additional admission requirements.
- UCN may require international applicants to have their transcripts assessed by World Education Services and will need to be evaluated on a course by course basis. www.wes.org
Cost of Courses
(Does not include Lab/Material fees or Student Association fees)
Cost Sheets for all UCN Programming
|College Credit Courses
|| $180.30 / credit hour|
|University – Non Science Courses
|| $360.00 / credit hour|
|University – Science Courses
|| $424.50 / credit hour|
|Student Service Fees
|| $11.50 / credit hour|
For a complete list of all of UCN programming, please refer to the Academic Calendar
International students are not eligible for financial assistance through either student loans or bursaries offered by the Government of Manitoba or UCN. The exception is the UCN’s International Student Residence Bursary for which international students can apply for during the academic year in which they are registered.
International students are required to have health insurance while studying in Canada. Insurance must be paid prior to course registration. To view details of the Manitoba International Health Insurance Plan, go to www.miship.ca
Residence facilities are available at both campuses in Thompson and The Pas. We also offer family housing. For more details and costs associated please visit our website
Coordinator, Assessement Services
Toll Free: 1-866-627-8500
Mailing Address: Box 3000, The Pas MB, R9A 1M7