Skip Navigation Links.

 Information For Students

In order to register for accommodations, you will be asked to complete a New Student Intake form and to provide Medical Documentation from a qualified professional indicating the nature of your disability and recommended accommodations. The medical documentation form can be acquired by contacting Student Accessibility Services (SAS). An appointment will be set up to review your documentation, talk about what accommodations might be needed, and offer additional support.    
Below is a list of appropriate professionals that may provide medical documentation:
  • Learning disabilities: Documentation must be provided by a recent psych-educational assessment by a registered psychologist completed within the last 5 years.
  • Mental Health Disabilities (including ADHD): Documentation must be provided by a psychiatrist, psychologist, or from a long-term family physician. 
  • Visual Impairment: Documentation must be provided by an optometrist or ophthalmologist and include the amount of residual vision present and whether the disability is stable, progressive, or fluctuating. CNIB cards may also be accepted. 
  • Hearing Impairment: Documentation must be provided by a certified audiologist and should include an audiogram, a statement of the amount of hearing loss, and whether the disability is stable, progressive, or fluctuating. 
  • Neurological Disabilities: Documentation can be provided by a neurologist, neuropsychologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or physician. 
  • Chronic or Temporary Physical Health Disabilities: Documentation can be provided by a physician or appropriate specialist. 

Please keep in mind:

  • It is your responsibility of the to self-identify as a student with a disability and to register with the Accessibility office in order to receive accommodations. 
  • It can take several weeks for accommodations to be arranged and longer if documentation is not up-to-date – you should register early with the Accessibility Office in order to have accommodations arranged.
  • You are expected to apply for any funding that may be available through external agencies and Manitoba Student Aid.  For assistance with Manitoba student aid and the Canada Study grant contact Financial Aid & Awards on the UCN website.


Agencies we work with are Society for Manitobans with Disabilities (SMD), Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB), including any agency helping to support students with disabilities. 
If you are a student with learning and attentional disabilities or mental health conditions may need to obtain re-assessments in order to provide up-to-date documentation.  This process can take several months, which may delay the arrangement of formal accommodations.  Documentation is mandatory for accommodations.  
Information on Tests and Exams
When it is your first time registering with SAS, it can take a little bit of time to work out all of the details.  It is therefore in your best interest to start the process by setting up an appointment with your Advisor as early as possible. Be sure to familiarize yourself with our exam booking guidelines and procedures, as there are important deadlines you will need to know. 


These factors may also influence your decision about when to contact us:
Funding - Some agencies have a waiting list for educational funds and Canada Study Grant applications can take up to four months to process.

Alternate materials - Requests should be submitted as soon as textbooks are confirmed for your courses as the production of audiotapes etc. could take four weeks or longer.

Time - Time may be required to obtain and install assistive technology or to make adjustments to physical space.




  • The Pas Campus Box 3000, 436 - 7th Street East, The Pas, MB R9A 1M7 Telephone: (204) 627-8500 / Toll Free: (866) 627-8500
  • Thompson Campus 55 UCN Drive, Thompson, MB R8N 1L7 Telephone: (204) 677-6450 / Toll Free: (866) 677-6450
© University College of the North (UCN)