Skip Navigation Links.


Human Resources (HR) and Student Accessibility Services (SAS) strive to provide accessible work and learning opportunities, and reasonable accommodations for all UCN employees, prospective employees and students who are or may be disabled by one or more barriers.

Please keep in mind:
  • It is your responsibility to self-identify as an employee, prospective employee or student with a disability and to register with HR or SAS in order to receive accommodations;  
  • You are expected to cooperate with reasonable requests for evidence establishing accommodation needs through the UCN Employee or UCN Student Medical Documentation form; 
  • It can take several weeks for accommodations to be arranged and longer if documentation is not up-to-date. It is recommended that you register early in order to have accommodations arranged;
  • You are expected to apply for any funding that may be available through external agencies and Manitoba Student Aid.  For assistance with Manitoba Student Aid and the Canada Study Grant contact Financial Aid & Awards on the UCN website. 

Providing Accommodations 

Requests for accommodations is based on individual circumstances. HR or SAS will review medical documentation of the functional limitations each employee or student experiences and tailor the accommodations to the individual's needs. Two people with the same diagnosis might have different accommodations because of the unique aspects of their circumstances. 

Providing accommodations do not provide employees or students with any advantage over their peers; rather they help to eliminate competitive disadvantages. In some cases, the essential requirements in the work and learning environment are not reasonable for an individual with a particular disability, in which case we will work collaboratively with the employee and supervisor or student and the academic department to come up with reasonable and appropriate accommodations. UCN recognizes that the accommodation provided to an individual, may not fully address a barrier that disables them. 

How to Request for Accommodations:

Students –submit three completed forms to SAS to complete your registration 

Employees/Prospective Employees – submit two completed forms to HR to complete your registration

How Requests for Accommodations are Assessed:

In order to assess a request for accommodations, individuals will be asked to provide medical documentation from a qualified professional indicating the nature of their disability and recommended accommodations. The medical documentation form is accessible on the UCN website or can be acquired by contacting HR or SAS. Once medical documentation is provided, an appointment will be set up to review your documentation, talk about what accommodations might be needed, and offer additional support.

Below is a list of appropriate professionals that may provide medical documentation:

  • Learning disabilities: Documentation must be provided by a recent psych-educational assessment by a registered psychologist completed within the last 5 years.
  • Mental Health Disabilities (including ADHD): Documentation must be provided by a psychiatrist, psychologist, or from a long-term family physician. 
  • Visual Impairment: Documentation must be provided by an optometrist or ophthalmologist and include the amount of residual vision present and whether the disability is stable, progressive, or fluctuating. CNIB cards may also be accepted. 
  • Hearing Impairment: Documentation must be provided by a certified audiologist and should include an audiogram, a statement of the amount of hearing loss, and whether the disability is stable, progressive, or fluctuating. 
  • Neurological Disabilities: Documentation can be provided by a neurologist, neuropsychologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or physician. 
  • Chronic or Temporary Physical Health Disabilities: Documentation can be provided by a physician or appropriate specialist. 

Types of Accommodations:

There are three main types of accommodations for Students:
  1. T​est/Exam Accommodation: These accommodations pertain to the environment, format and testing method for tests and exams.
    • ​​Separate Space for Tests/Exams 
    • Computer use for test/exam
    • Extended Test/Exam Time  
    • Assistive Technology for Tests/Exams (Jaws, Kurzweil, Dragon Naturally Speaking)
    • Assistance of a scribe or reader 
  1. Classroom/Course-Related Accommodations: These accommodations pertain to the physical environment of the classroom, instructional strategies, and alternate formats of the course materials and requirements.
    • ​Alternate Format Services
    • Course Load Adjustment  
    • Note-taking Services
    • Academic Attendant
    • Tutoring
  1. Campus Accommodations: These accommodations pertain to physical accessibility of and transportation on the campus. 
    • ​​Students may require assistance with getting around campus due to a vision impairment or mobility concern.  
    • Students may require assistance with transportation to and from the campus. 

  • The Pas Campus Box 3000, 436 - 7th Street East, The Pas, MB R9A 1M7 Telephone: (204) 627-8500 / Toll Free: (866) 627-8500
  • Thompson Campus 55 UCN Drive, Thompson, MB R8N 1L7 Telephone: (204) 677-6450 / Toll Free: (866) 677-6450
© University College of the North (UCN)